Re: New clock applet for 2.22

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 22:13 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> And I suppose you think that having all of those applications
> strftime'ing with arbitrary formatting strings, and then writing those
> strings to plain text log files is fine too.

[...]

> I'd quite like to leave the 20th century behind, personally.

I'm just saying that if you want the timezone stored elsewhere you need
to make sure that the C library will pick it up. Do you disagree?

(FWIW, it's pretty unclear to me what you mean, but I think you're
trying to say that the timezone should be a per-user or per-session
property. That's an admirable goal and in line with most of the other
work I've personally been involved in doing for GNOME (moving things
from system- to session-scope: HAL, NM etc.). For example, one
application of this would be a huge central mainframe serving thin
clients from multiple locations in different timezones.)

I think you just need to realize the world is a helluva lot bigger than
GNOME and pure crack like having date(1) return something different than
what my GNOME clock shows is just not a viable approach in the real
world.

      David