Re: New clock applet for 2.22

And I suppose you think that having all of those applications strftime'ing with arbitrary formatting strings, and then writing those strings to plain text log files is fine too.

I'd quite like to leave the 20th century behind, personally.

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 16:57 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 21:33 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 16:01 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > GConf
> >
> > You're more than welcome to try but I doubt think Ulrich will accept
> > such a patch for glibc.
> Who cares about glibc?

Oh, you know, for starters I do. And I like the fact that other programs
using the C library gets the same local time as is displayed on my
panel. This, btw, includes all the existing apps written for GNOME
already; they all, in one way or another, end up using the C library for
this kind of stuff.

Changing /etc/localtime from a desktop app is far from a new concept;
lots of Linux distributions been doing it for years (system-config-date,
yast, many others etc.) the only proposal here is to move all these bits
into an upstream project, GNOME, so all the distributions can share the
maintenance burden and we have deep integration with the desktop.

I'm not exactly sure what we're discussing here or what your point is.

      David