Re: Proposed module: tracker

tor, 11.01.2007 kl. 11.27 -0600, skrev Shaun McCance:
> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 10:55 +0000, Iain * wrote:
> > On 1/11/07, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> >
> > > This is the second time the bonobo comparison has been made.
> > >
> > > Developers got excited about bonobo - users thought they were monkeys.
> > > What we have here is a HEAP of excited users screaming for desktop
> > > search. I dont think the two situations can be compared at all.
> >
> > The comparison is valid because we're doing the same with tracker as
> > we did with bonobo: Searching for places we can put Tracker before we
> > know what we want or need: "We want desktop search" is a rather
> > general statement that says nothing about requirements.
> >
> > I'm not saying that desktop search is a bad thing and that no-one
> > wants it. I'm just saying "How do we know Tracker is the correct
> > solution?"
> >
> > I think I'm going round in circles here, so I'll stop.
> >
> > On another point entirely, why was tracker support not added to
> > gnome-search-tool? Why was there a need for it to be forked into
> > tracker-search-tool? With a patch to g-s-t you wouldnt need to be in a
> > place where this unknown program was replacing a well used, and
> > well-tested one.
>
> Probably because Tracker isn't in a blessed dependency, and
> many developers (well, me at least) are sick of #ifdefing the
> hell out of their code just because we can't agree on which
> technology we like today.
>
> So make a branch, right?  Really, that's all Jamie did.  It's
> just that his branch of g-s-t is somewhere else in SVN.  You
> want him to prove Tracker in applications before adding it to
> the desktop, but then complain when he doesn't add that work
> to the trunk of the application.  It's a Catch-22.

Well, approaching the current maintainer of g-s-t and asking whether
is't ok to create a branch in gnome-utils to make the tool use tracker
is a bit different than just copying the source into one's own module
IMHO at least.

That would probably have given much more positive feedback and created
less friction than what is the case today. Live and learn...

Cheers
Kjartan