Re: Proposed module: tracker

2007/1/11, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com>:
On 1/11/07, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:

> This is the second time the bonobo comparison has been made.
>
> Developers got excited about bonobo - users thought they were monkeys.
> What we have here is a HEAP of excited users screaming for desktop
> search. I dont think the two situations can be compared at all.

The comparison is valid because we're doing the same with tracker as
we did with bonobo: Searching for places we can put Tracker before we
know what we want or need: "We want desktop search" is a rather
general statement that says nothing about requirements.

How can it be a general statement? Desktop search is pretty clearly
defined in my eyes.

To make things clear, let me put things a bit on the edge: "We want
Spotlight (C) functionality in Gnome. We want it in a pervasive way
not just grafted on.".

Seriously; look through the Spotlight documentation (there's a great
deal actually). Come back and say this in not well defined.

Cheers,
Mikkel