Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Ross Burton wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:26 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > I was also surprised why them people on this thread were so concerned
> > by Music and whatever folders they want to store the media in when you
> > can just index the whole thing, and thanks for mentioning that
> > fabulous Tracker of things. I wouldn't have explained better why an
> > indexer would be so much better than yet-more-standards where to put
> > media in (and I think that Sound Juicer patch should be thrown far
> > away).

> This isn't a discussion about indexing. Indexing is great, we all know
> that.  This is a discussion about how to get hold of pre-defined
> locations (like where the user wants their photos, their music, their
> documents).

Nicely put.

> > I always found the Microsoft way of naming things ridiculous (My
> > Documents, Program Files), and I surely won't name my music directory
> > the ugly Music, rather 'music' or 'sounds' or whatever else but Music.
>
> $ ls -d */
> Archives/  Documents/  Maildir/  Pictures/     public_html/  Templates/
> bin/       Local/      Mess/     Programming/  Music/        WebSites/
>
> I must be ridiculous.
>
> You are marking youself as a hard-core terminal geek by saying that
> "music" is beautiful but "Music" is ugly.  Most "normal" (read:
> non-geeks) people capitalise these directories.  I'm a geek but I like
> them to be uppercase as they are proper nouns, effectively.

I thought real geeks could all touch-type at ludicrous speeds and were
unafraid of capital letters?  Dont "real geeks" use directory names
starting with capitals and file names starting with lowercase? (or some
other highly elaborate naming scheme. I'll stop before this turns in to a
Four Yorkshiremen parody)
;P

--
Alan