Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

hi;

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 13:50 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 11:08 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > as we do with the icons (for the cache) and the MIME associations, we
> > (gtk+) can provide a small tool for installing the desktop places
> > bookmarks:
> >
> >   gtk-bookmark-install sound-juicer.places
> >
> > this tool can do conflict resolution
>
> How? Surely we just want to stick with one default (unless the user or
> admin changes it) and stick with it?

a plausible hierarchy could be:

  highest priority
  user - (.local/share/places)
  administrator - (/etc/xdg/share/places)
  system - (/usr/share/places)
  lowest priority

> > >   Should "the desktop"
> > > ship a standard set of bookmarks
> >
> > this too could be doable for standard installations.  another
> > interesting bit is the ability for system administrators to add
> > standard
> > places to internal resources for their users.
>
> This is quite a compelling use case: so what now - anyone want to start
> hacking on this?

I'll be working on the file chooser format switch from .gtk-bookmarks to
a bookmark file; also, since the same format is used by gnome-panel and
nautilus, I'll work on them.  GBookmarkFile can already load a bookmark
from $XDG_DATA_DIR (g_bookmark_file_load_from_data_dirs()), so we just
need to have a standard directory layout for the files.  I'll also write
the installer/merger for GTK+ - unless someone beats me to it. :-)

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com