Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

hi;

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 11:02 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 10:44 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > there was a proposal for the "desktop places" on the wiki:
> >
> >   http://live.gnome.org/DesktopPlaces
> >
> > which is entirely doable now that we have an API to access local
> > bookmarks (GBookmarkFile in GLib).  applications can install a bookmark
> > for their folder, which has a "title" that can be translated like we
> > localise schemas for GConf and desktop entries for the menu, and point
> > it to the unlocalised directory on disk:
> >
> >   Music -> file:///home/ebassi/Music
> >   Photos -> file:///home/ebassi/Photos
>
> So Sound Juicer would install a "Music" bookmark, right?  Rhythmbox and
> Muine would want to do the same, so what happens here?  Would these be
> physical files so would conflict when packaged?

as we do with the icons (for the cache) and the MIME associations, we
(gtk+) can provide a small tool for installing the desktop places
bookmarks:

  gtk-bookmark-install sound-juicer.places

this tool can do conflict resolution and should also do the merging of
all the desktop places into a single cache file (applications can still
load a single set of bookmarks, but the file chooser and others will
probably want to load the whole lot by mmap()-ing the cache).

>   Should "the desktop"
> ship a standard set of bookmarks

this too could be doable for standard installations.  another
interesting bit is the ability for system administrators to add standard
places to internal resources for their users.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com