Re: GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

Dom, 2006-09-24 �16:57 +0100, Alex Jones escreveu:
> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 09:43 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> >
> > GUnique already uses D-Bus (with bacon as a backup).  So, how is your
> > proposal different than GUnique?  (Other than startup-notification not
> > being mentioned in your proposal yet?)
>
> It's different because it separates the process starts the service from
> the process that invokes methods on the service (i.e. LaunchNew(),
> OpenURI(), etc.).

  I completely agree that separating the "client interface" from the
main app is beneficial.  Witness Rhythmbox that recently started
shipping a lightweight rhythmbox-client program that allows one to
control RB without loading a very large binary in the process.  Now I
can bind my multimedia keys to control RB without having to wait a few
seconds before pressing a key takes effect.

> It also gives us the ability to pre-load applications without showing
> any interface. I am totally willing to spare a chunk of my RAM if it
> means I don't have to keep warm-starting Epiphany every time I open a
> web page. It would make my entire desktop use a whole lot more
> responsive.

+1

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic