Re: GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
Is this API appropriate for GTK+ and adaptable for use with Windows
and OS X?
OS X could use the bacon backend (that uses Unix domain sockets).

On Windows AF_UNIX is not available, but Windows has named pipes that are more similar to sockets than to Unix named pipes. However only the client part of named pipes is supported on Windows 9x/Me.

Single instance applications on Windows NT/XP use the named mutex
pattern[1], to which we can provide a nice wrapper using GUnique I
think.

I know but GUniqueApp requires communication between the "server" and the "client", using named mutex you can't communicate.

I think we can use a platform-based approach:

  * D-Bus, Xlibs and bacon on *nix on a soft dependency basis;
  * bacon on OS X;
  * named mutex and bacon on win32.

Bacon on win32?

--