Re: GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 09:13 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 09:43 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
>
> > > (Crappy write-up, but I just haven't had time to sort it out. Sorry!)
> >
> > GUnique already uses D-Bus (with bacon as a backup).  So, how is your
> > proposal different than GUnique?  (Other than startup-notification not
> > being mentioned in your proposal yet?)
>
> One thing that a hard dependency on D-Bus could provide is more ability
> to extend the mechanism to provide for additional application needs.
>
> A generic mechanism can provide handle the needs of gnome-terminal or
> gedit; but not every command that you might want to pass to a desktop
> singleton is "open a new window".
>
> I think it would be a little strange from an API point of view to have
> to do one thing (GUnique) to get "open a new window" functionality,
> and then entirely something else to get "scriptable singleton"
> functionality.
>
> Is "extensible" compatible with hiding the gory details of start-up
> notification timestamps? I don't know. I don't have a good sense
> of what a prototypical D-Bus exporting application looks like.

I've been dodging the issue of startup-notification just because I don't
really fully understand it. I figure that solutions for these kind of
issues are just things you can bolt on. I may be vastly underestimating
the complexity of s-n, though.

--
Alex Jones <alex weej com>