Re: GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

On 9/24/06, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
Hi, list

As an alternative to GUnique, you could do the kind of thing Maemo does
just by using D-Bus.

If "just by using D-Bus" means what I think it does, then all desktop
apps doing so are broken.  You need to handle startup-notification too
(gtk+ tries to handle startup-notification details for apps, but
single-instance apps do things behind gtk+'s back in order to be
single instance and thus require extra work).

http://live.gnome.org/DesktopAppsAsDBusServices

(Crappy write-up, but I just haven't had time to sort it out. Sorry!)

GUnique already uses D-Bus (with bacon as a backup).  So, how is your
proposal different than GUnique?  (Other than startup-notification not
being mentioned in your proposal yet?)

Elijah