GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

<quote who="Elijah Newren">

> Um, oops...  Richard just pointed out to me how I had forgotten that Vytas
> had done a very good job making the GUnique library work as well as
> possible with gtk+-2.10.  So, you can still implement it this cycle.  Some
> notes:
>
> 1) Richard has imported the GUnique library as libgunique in cvs; he has
> been applying some patches to improve it and will be applying some more
> (e.g. to make it a shared library).

Before recommending that everyone use GUnique, could we define a migration
path for it to enter the platform? We really don't need yet another shared
library, and yet another module to release, and yet another separate API to
learn. Is this API appropriate for GTK+ and adaptable for use with Windows
and OS X?

Can we use it as-is (or as well-defined cut'n'paste code) in GNOME 2.18 and
plan towards migrating to a GTK+ 2.12 version in GNOME 2.20? Let's at least
have a plan for it, otherwise we're just adding yet another [as above] with
little active thought for our users, distributors and platform consumers.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
Ohio LinuxFest 2006: Columbus OH, USA              http://www.ohiolinux.org/

             "Laughter is a force for democracy." - John Cleese