Re: International Space Station Images

Murray Cumming wrote:
[snip]
A fight because bullsh*t is a cancer. For another example check this
"review" that puts gtkmm not only above other wrappers but almost on one
level with GTK+ itself:
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/928

This article is a direct result of gtkmm presentation that tries to
expose that wrapper as a savior by lowering GTK+. This cancer is being
spread for years and the campaign has a deafening success, I myself was
hypnotized once.
[snip]

This is so vague that it's difficult to respond. I assume that you object
to gtkmm developers suggesting that people use gtkmm instead of GTK+ to
developer applications. So I'll note that
- The GTK+ developers recommend that people use language bindings to
develop applications. They say it's easier.
- gtkmm is meant for people who like C++. It's obviously better than GTK+
for C++ coders.
So I'm not sure what the charges against me are.

To your other points: People (me included) don't seem to understand what
you are suggesting or the implications of it, and are offended by their
understanding so far. When that happens it's best to calmly think again
about how you are presenting it. If people still don't agree with you then
that's life. We all have different opinions and we can't all fight about
them. Some people call that politics, but it's just getting things done.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com

Murray, I was thinking once that you present gtkmm as something superior to GTK+ on purpose, but recently I changed my opinion. Your desire to expose gtkmm in the most advantageous fashion is understandable. But how can you explain this phrase from gtkmm website: "gtkmm is a GUI toolkit and nothing more, and it strives to be the best C++ GUI toolkit"? There are also strange things in gtkmm FAQ, for example "why use gtkmm instead of GTK+" - note the word "instead". If that all was said unconsciously, may be it's time to make gtkmm more loyal to GTK+? My negative attitude towards gtkmm was increased also after somebody started a (paid?) google ad campaign promoting a gtkmm tutorial chapter about Glade.

Regarding my proposals... I said that I want to retire from free software (I have a different mentality), so I hope nobody could accuse me that I seek selfish gains here. I gathered some knowledge during development of Gideon and I wanted to share it with the Gnome community. Oliver Stone said recently that he criticizes America because he loves it. My points are sharp, here is a full list of what I wanted to say (just to *say* and may be discuss, not to push):

1. State openly that gtkmm website contains subtle (unintentional?) lies. (This was the most important for me personally.) 2. Propose a position of a Moderator. This could automatically increase signal/noise ratio of mailing lists; debates won't be endless; people would afraid to lie; less politics and more activity; Gnome will be more comfortable for people from Eastern Europe and Asia (some if not all eastern cultures are not compatible with meritocracy!) 3. Show the benefits of a split of Gnome and GTK+: this eliminates technology and ideology mixture, so both projects could improve faster since they have different goals. 4. Propose Gnome certification (originally I was thinking about it as a replacement to the HIG, but I was shown that the HIG is needed, so it is a complement now). 5. Formulate the Gideon Principle and propose it as a cornerstone for Gnome HIG and certification. 6. Discuss the possibility of contribution of Gideon to Gnome since Gnome hosts GTK+. (I admit that I sounded frivolous on the "Contribution" thread, but that's because I was not sure that such contribution could happen and is fully sensible.) 7. Propose to narrow Gnome by ideology (this is a short formulation of an implementation style - not a HIG, but something like a motto: "Simple interface, great functionality, coherent behavior") (In fact that's my motto that I use when I develop GUI applications. It is a user-understandable reformulation of the Gideon Principle)

Hmm... may be something else I can't recall now. Some of these points raised *after* I made my first post here.