Re: Notifications for build & release issues: gnome-control-center

Elijah Newren wrote:
On 10/20/06, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
In many respects, jhbuild _is_ the dependency tree for building GNOME. A
mode like `jhbuild list` will give you a list of packages you need to
build. It would be easily possible to put the output of this command on
a webpage if people thought they needed that.

Also worth noting is that you can get the exact list of modules &
tarball version number for a given tarball release (in addition to
getting a valid build order), if you have jhbuild installed, via the
command

jhbuild -m http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/2.16.1/gnome-2.16.1.modules
list -r

(replacing both instances of '2.16.1' with the appropriate gnome
version you are interested in).  Of course there are a couple
'virtual' modules in the list, but they all begin with 'meta-' and
thus can easily be removed.  If there are people that would find this
information useful, it shouldn't be hard to put up on a page
somewhere.  Is there anything other than build order, module list, and
version numbers that are needed for ISVs/ISDs wanting to build GNOME?

I think information about which dependencies are mandatory and which are optional would be very helpful. Optional dependencies are probably even more important, as they are the hardest to discover.

There's a lot of good information in the releng directory, but I doubt people know about it. We need a system to generate some nice html pages for each release detailing all of the above information in a nice readable format. Did anyone ever have anything to do something like this?

-Thomas