Re: Metacity Compositor

<quote who="JP Rosevear">

> I'm not sure how lisp like configuration equates with something that
> exposes all its settings in gconf and has a dbus plugin for remote
> control.  gnome-xgl is a settings gui that is fairly generic (except for
> enabling Xgl on suse), although it could use a little UI love.

Compiz may not be programmable, but it contains almost as many settings as
the rest of GNOME combined [1]. Do we really want to bring that kind of
thing upon ourselves again? Plugins changing behaviour so fundamentally is
pretty scary, too (in terms of supportability, combinatorial brainfuckage,
etc). Certainly we have to move forward on integration of a compositing
manager and useful (and pretty) effects, but Compiz in its current state
seems like a backwards step in many ways. New and cool technologies don't
have to mean we forget what we've learned over the last six years.

- Jeff

[1] Exaggeration for effect.

   You know the end is nigh when modern art is relegated to the status of
                                  "meme".