Re: Metacity Compositor

On 10/3/06, Rob Adams <readams readams net> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 21:18 +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:

> I had a feeling this would be the case, and I doubted inclusion as soon
> as I sent off the e-mail. I don't want a Compiz clone, so I probably
> think that doing something new is the better approach. It's just that
> there is a working infrastructure there, and it's a pity to waste it.

Compiz is really more of a technology demo than a seriously credible
contender as a main window manager for either the GNOME or the KDE
projects.  It has lots of pretty eye candy (though for me it's beyond
painfully slow), but it's not a particularly good window manager.  You
don't have to use it for very long before you notice lots of little
details about "being a window manager" that it gets wrong.

It would be nice if you could back up these claims with examples of
such missing details.  Or even better, file bugs so we can get them
fixed.  There is a component for compiz in the freedesktop.org
bugzilla:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xorg&component=App/compiz

thanks,
Kristian