Re: New panel logout/shutdown alert - a mini ui review

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 00:34 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On 10 Feb, 2006, at 8:56 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
> >
> > Le jeudi 09 f�ier 2006 �7:46 -0500, Matthias Clasen a �it :
> >> - The button order in the Shutdown dialog is a bit odd.
> >>   Why is Cancel in the middle between Shutdown and Reboot ?
> >
> > I tend to agree here. Maybe we should not follow the HIG in this case
> > since the menu item means: "shutdown or reboot?".
>
> Restarting should be much less common than shutting down, so it's fine
> for Restart to be an alternative button to the left of Cancel. (Another
> factor is that Restart is only a shortcut, equivalent to Shut Down +
> start up again.)
>
> If you do need to restart nearly as often as shutting down, either
> you're switching kernels/OSes much more often than the average joe, or
> your OS badly needs fixing. :-)

Or the other way around:  It's not that I restart all
that often time; it's just that I never shut down.

But hey, whatever, I'm not going to argue that Restart
should be the default action just because *I* use it
more.  To me, the most compelling reason for Shut Down
to be the primary is that the menu item is, in fact,
"Shut Down".

Although I do think the [Restart, Cancel, Shut Down]
button order feels weird.  I'm fond of radio buttons
and few (like, two) action buttons, especially when
those radio buttons can remember that I'm a restart
kind of guy.

--
Shaun