Re: Replacing control center menus

Dan Winship wrote:
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 13:36 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:51 -0700, Scott Reeves wrote:
I find the filter feature significantly helps with the “too many
capplets” issue.  One strength of the new shell is it dynamically
displays the filtered list of choices as you type (and <enter>
launches when you are down to one).
As I commented yesterday, this can actually be counter-productive, as it
means you don't get to learn the initial position of the icon you're
looking for so you can just find it visually the next time.

Are you actually likely to use any given capplet enough times that you'd
be able to remember where it was between uses? From what I remember of
OS X, I always had to look around a bit to find the capplet I was
looking for.

Also, I don't remember if we're looking at including the SLED
application browser as well, but it works exactly the same way as the
control center does wrt searching, and doing highlighting rather than
filtering wouldn't work well at all there (since there are several pages
of apps).

-- Dan

I recall from my Windows days that I had to look through the entire list manually each time. Not fun... especially when there weren't any categories. Also, the position could change with the addition or removal of items. I think it's more important for the user to learn the category that the capplet is in, and looking at the screenshots, it looks like the filter results are displayed under their respective category.

It might also be nice to have some sort of indication that new capplets have been installed and a one-click filter to show them.

It also looks like it does not just search the name, but has some sort of tagging. From the screenshots, typing "keyb" will display the capplet named "Shortcuts." I think this is also good, as it may teach the user of *related* settings they can change, and give them a shorter list to look through if they cannot find what they're looking for in the initial capplet.

Oh and hi. :) First time poster, long time lurker. This is, I believe, my first post on this list.

-- Steve