Re: Replacing control center menus

< snip various questions about the new shell ...>

As Thomas mentioned this was initially developed on SUSE and stock cvs may not currently look quite as nice or have all the features on all other distros.  We are rolling patches in to update this but meanwhile the screenshots from openSUSE 10.2  show the desired end result.  The first screenshot is how it looks on initial launch, the second shows the filtering, the third shows additional features such as the context menu (right click or Shift-F10) and group selection

I find the filter feature significantly helps with the “too many capplets” issue.  One strength of the new shell is it dynamically displays the filtered list of choices as you type (and <enter> launches when you are down to one).  The filter matches on the Name, GenericName and the executable of an entry.  When you have no idea what capplet your desired functionality is in, for example you want to see what keyboard customization options are available, type “k e y” and you get the 3 capplets shown in fig2.

As far as the speed of finding and then launching items the filter is quite fast – narrowing the list down almost as fast as I type. Your millage may vary of course.  The filter is not using beagle – we don't need the full indexing and rich metadata search that beagle provides, we are just doing a simple match on the 3 strings mentioned above. Also when you know exactly what you are wanting to launch, for example type “m o u <enter>” to launch the gnome-mouse-properties capplet, no menu navigation or mouse-keyboard back and forth is required (especially if you were to assign a hot key to launch the shell in the first place)