Re: Replacing control center menus

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:51 -0700, Scott Reeves wrote:
> < snip various questions about the new shell ...>

> I find the filter feature significantly helps with the “too many
> capplets” issue.  One strength of the new shell is it dynamically
> displays the filtered list of choices as you type (and <enter>
> launches when you are down to one).

As I commented yesterday, this can actually be counter-productive, as it
means you don't get to learn the initial position of the icon you're
looking for so you can just find it visually the next time.  The Apple
control center, for example, just "highlights" the matches as you type,
which seems like a better idea IMHO.  (Provided you don't need to scroll
to see some of the matches, which you never do in Apple's shell.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group