Re: gtk-engines photographed eating children

Maybe I am just confused here but as for maintaining in one big module,
how does this waste our time? How could we put them back into individual
modules. You never had them all broken out into their own individual
modules, most are in multiple locations to begin with, g-t, g-t-e,
gtk-engines, various sf sites, novell/ximian artwork etc. If you want to
completely ditch all engines from gnome modules and drop gtk-engines
binary entirely GO FOR IT. Thats how things should be, that doesn't
waste our time in consolodating them and maintaing the unmaintained in a
single place.

We easily provided --disable-engine options to disable any engine from
the module. Use them. If you had to break out other engines before it
shouldn't make a difference now. configure and make with an individual
engine, package result into individual packages.

And I would rather Redmond and Metal were packaged individually for
complete consistancy sake as well. gtk-engines should be effectively a
virtual meta package which depends on all the engines, not actually
provides them itself.

But I am still slightly confused here are you saying that you are
basically going to ignore the problem, by continuing to version those
engines in sync with gnome, not the actual engine release? Why then
bring it up at all?

I have no problem with you continuing to provide the engines seperately
since that is how I feel it should have always been. I do have a problem
with versioning non-gnome modules according to gnome release numbers and
ignoring their individual version releases, for no apperent reason
except that a gnome module depends on them(and, somewhat foolishly in my
opinion, included versions of some of them at one point). If you are
breaking out the engines into seperate modules, then you should version
them according to their own seperate versions to begin with.

Maybe I am still missing something here.....

Andrew