Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 16:48, Alan Horkan wrote:
> I figure it could have been implemented as ~/Computer/ and have the drives
> and shortcuts mounted there which doesn't mess as much with the
> traditional "everything is a file" and I think it is kind of appropriate
> that your Computer would be inside your Home.

Actually mount them there?  Oh please no.  First of all, you can access
things that aren't mounted from Computer, like Network.  Second, this
has the exact same problem that we *used* to have with devices on the
desktop.  The captains solved that problem.  Let's not re-introduce it.
The problem is that many people have NFS-mounted home directories.  If
my CD gets mounted at ~/Computer/CD\ Rom, and I step over to another
machine, I see this ghost directory.

The system absoluty, positively *MUST* be safe to use with networked
home directories.

--
Shaun