Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

[Please CC me I'm on the list digest]

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:14:51 -0400
> From: Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com>
> To: Desktop Devel <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Not OK computer:///   [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]
>
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 22:48 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
>
> > I figure it could have been implemented as ~/Computer/ and have the drives
> > and shortcuts mounted there which doesn't mess as much with the
> > traditional "everything is a file" and I think it is kind of appropriate
> > that your Computer would be inside your Home.
>
> What happens when someone deletes ~/Computer?  They're just screwed?

No more screwed than if they try to delete their home directory?

I think you have a different problem.  A new protocol might be the answer
to something but should not be the answer to that problem.

I'm not hung up on how to properly implement it but hopefully some
developers do know of a better way that doesn't require a new protocol.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org