Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Wed, 24.11.04 18:31, Iain * (iaingnome gmail com) wrote:

> > Secondly - do you really
> > expect pro audio people to manually quit every other application like
> > gaim, turn off sound events, etc?
>
> Pretty much, yes, they do.
>
> If someone is using an HDR such as Ardour, with say 10 tracks playing
> and one recording in realtime, you don't want the kernel to suddenly
> switch to gaim which then does some silly bit of disk accessing to
> load an icon for a buddy who's just appeared online.

I'd like to add that ALSA's dmix plugin just forks off its own process
and does mixing and most work there. This is more or less the same as
the autospawning feature of esound or polypaudio.

Professional audio people just don't want that extra context switch
between the audio application and that mixing process.

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }