Re: GNOME Printing

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 07:53:39PM -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > Another alternative as I mentioned originally is for libgnomeprint to
> > signal eggcups with the job ids.  That way you get notification for
> > GNOME applications, but not e.g. lpr.

It doesn't seem unreasable to assume that any distro shipping gnome
will also be willing to patch cupsd.  It seems unlikely that cups
would be willing to accept a d-bus depend yet.  However, that or
something like it is clearly necessary for good hal support so this
isn't a complete pipe dream.

> I know this is totally horrible, but I want to suggest it for completeness.
>
> One could ask Fam to notify us when the contents of the local spool
> changes, which would kick off eggcups repolling.
>
> Yes, it is a hack. A very very very very bad hack. But it may get the job
> done until proper notification support can be implemented in CUPs...

Get me a bucket.