Re: GNOME Printing

On 13/06/2004 11:15 PM, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

 Let's not get picky.  Even if the software doesn't support this
advanced feature yet, what it does already is very much worth including
in GNOME, considering we have nothing.  Poor software is better than no
software. Unless it's an API we have to live with for years to come,
userspace programs can be improved later.
My worry was about whether this patch would result in a stuck print job notification when a remote spool was used (ie. the print job notification icon noticed that the job started, but never got told that the job completed).

If it did result in stuck notifications, then it would be better not to show anything for the remote case. However, this argument doesn't really matter since Colin said that it does handle remote spools okay.

The only other question I have about this setup is whether the CUPS maintainers are likely to accept the patch, or if all Gnome distributors would need to ship patched versions of CUPS.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/