Re: Proposed: Evolution (and associated libs)

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:59, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Mark McLoughlin">
>
> > The only probable user in of e-d-s in 2.6, that I'm aware of, is the clock
> > applet. This will only provide a *view* of your evolution calendar data.
> > Without evolution there won't be any calendar data. i.e. unless there is
> > some application in the desktop release that allows you to populate your
> > calendar or address book, I don't see any point at all in including
> > evolution-data-server.
>
> This makes a lot of sense, but I think that even if Evolution is late, the
> next version of the distros will probably ship Evo2 with GNOME 2.6 -> the
> Evo guys were very set on getting it out in time, so they'd only be a little
> bit later.
>
> In that case, Evo wouldn't be in the 2.6 Desktop, but e-d-s would be (and
> used by a small number of things elsewhere), which is a very important step
> towards getting e-d-s in the Developer Platform (which I believe is the Evo
> hackers intent).

	I don't follow.

	Okay, let me put it this way. The clock applet integration will
probably be in before the 2.6 feature freeze, but it will only be built
if e-d-s is installed. It only makes sense to have the clock integration
in the desktop if evolution is in the desktop and, thus, it only makes
sense to have e-d-s in the desktop if you have evolution in the desktop.

	At the moment, the two go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned. Simple
as that.

Cheers,
Mark.