Re: Proposed: Evolution (and associated libs)

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:43, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I'd echo other peoples concerns around its stability and whether the
> radical changes made in 1.5 should be allowed a longer settling in
> period.
>
> 	My main problem with the proposal, though, is that I don't think we
> should be considering adding evolution-data-server to the desktop unless
> we are also adding evolution.
>
> 	The only probable user in of e-d-s in 2.6, that I'm aware of, is the
> clock applet. This will only provide a *view* of your evolution calendar
> data. Without evolution there won't be any calendar data. i.e. unless
> there is some application in the desktop release that allows you to
> populate your calendar or address book, I don't see any point at all in
> including evolution-data-server.

I would suggest that there is a bit of a chicken and egg situation with
E-D-S.  If it is included in 2.6 then more people will become aware of
it, and more apps will use it.  If it is not included then these apps
will take far longer to appear, and will probably be driven by the
inclusion of E-D-S in distros rather than GNOME.

> 	I really want to see evolution and evolution-data-server in the desktop
> and deep integration with GNOME. But I think the time for that is going
> to be 2.8.

I would argue for inclusion in 2.6, I think that it will be ready and
stable on time.  Also note that the various development and testing
distros (Debian Unstable, Fedora Core Development, etc) are starting to
include the 1.5.x builds, hence testing a bug fixing should start to
accelerate.

On a more philosophical level I think that E-D-S is the sort of
application that should be included in GNOME 2.6.  I think that with the
maturity and stability that GNOME has now achieved, it should be looking
to add that extra sparkle.  In my opinion that sparkle is the sort of
seamless integration that E-D-S and the new clock applet provide (and
all the other cool things that become possible).

Keith.