Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 12:01 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> My claim is pretty simple; all those problems have to do with
> shell/motif type of scenarios. (And yeah, I'd put tarball-creation in
> that category too.)

So forget tarballs. What happens when I drag my Documents folder to a
USB memory stick? Either it ends up untranslated or we have to add two
more special cases to Nautilus (one to translate and another to
untranslate on the way back). How many more little special cases like
that are there going to be? (And how many releases until we find all of
them?)

> So I'm not saying we should ignore those scenarios, but I am saying that
> once you start compromising the "office productivity user" sort of
> experience to preserve them, it will create fundamental limitations on
> our ability to create a usable system.

But I don't think there's a consensus that the gettext solution is the
less-compromising of the two.

-- Dan