Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 17:24 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sad, 2004-12-11 at 18:10, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 02:48 +0900, Jan Mor�wrote:
> > Because it's more complex - likely to break, and likely to waste a bunch
> > of someone like Alex's time fixing stupid corner cases. We have
> > empirical evidence of that from past GNOME experience and from Windows
> > experience and from common sense based on writing lots of desktop code.
>
> Non English is a "corner case" ? That strikes me as dangerous ground

The "gettext approach" works fine for non English. The corner cases I'm
referring to here are things like what if you delete the symlink, what
if the symlink is out of sync with the actual filename, who creates the
symlink, what if the homedir is on some suck filesystem that doesn't
support symlinks, what if we change the implementation and need to clean
up on upgrade, what about sharing a homedir between GNOME 2.8 and GNOME
2.future, and so forth.  Not to mention issues like the
gconf_client_set_filename() mess. Nautilus now makes up the Trash and
mountpoints and so forth dynamically for a reason, back in the day it
would write them to disk.

Havoc