Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 17:20 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> You have to interoperate and things like magic renaming leak everywhere
> and perform badly. It actually degrades worse than just having a gconf
> key and a couple of script helpers or environment variables. Its not
> perfect either.

The other big issue here is location of these folders as well as their
translation so I cant see VFS magic helping out here anyhow. We have to
have configurable on-disk names if we wont to avoid having another fight
over whether the standard set of folders should be in HOME or ~/Desktop
or hidden or some combination of the three (I personally would want
Templates hidden, Public in Home and the rest in ~/Desktop).

Changing locales is then as simple as "mv ~/Desktop ~/Whatever"

One of my big gripes about FDO is the proliferation of dotfiles which as
you all know mars performance so we also have an opportunity here if we
create an FDO lib to abstract away the storage mechanism too (IE it
could use dotfiles, GCOnf or a super fast DB as the backend etc).

A libFDO would then just include things like set_document_dir and
get_document_dir etc.

Problem solved?

jamie.