Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:18 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 12:19, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Also, folder i18n discussion has centred around consistent on-disk names and
> > translations in the interface, *not* configurable on-disk locations.
>

> Maybe but since nobody has answered the problems revolving around
> shells, KDE and other application consistency
>
> 	"I put it in Shared and openoffice found it elsewhere"
>
> you can't whitewash it away either.

We can sort out something with openoffice and KDE on freedesktop easily
enough (already done for many things, and OO.org already uses our file
chooser anyhow).

And the shell is not a solvable problem, so accept that tradeoff and
move on. We can accomodate and consider shell users, but design by and
for them is wrong. In this case we've established that translating the
actual on-disk name sucks badly, and that's the only solution for
~/Desktop type of stuff that would work with the shell, so shell users
lose. Oh well. The command names in /usr/bin are not translated either.

Havoc