Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 14:22 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2004-12-02 at 02:31, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > We can sort out something with openoffice and KDE on freedesktop easily
> > enough (already done for many things, and OO.org already uses our file
> > chooser anyhow).
>
> And motif applications, and oracle, and Eclipse, and access via samba,
> and IBM workplace and mozilla and Loki games and ...
>
> Sorry I can't take your grotesque hack very seriously, it's actually
> more work than a real solution.

There is not a solution I've heard that works with the shell, if that's
what you mean by "real solution"

configurable directory names for localization is a mess *for GUI-only
users* *in our historical experience where we already tried this*

My sort of hack - and sure, make it more elegant and generic as with
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Concepts/DisplayNames.html
if you like, it's the same thing - is the right solution. We don't have
paths in the UI for a reason; they are an implementation detail that
_does_ _not_ _work_ in a modern GUI.

We can't always keep existing apps working *as well* as integrated apps.
They will be usable, just not quite as nice. And that's why we
constantly lobby for people to use the native toolkits and APIs, because
we *know* that fixing certain problems and making certain enhancements
will be a platform-by-platform job.

Programs such as Eclipse are cross-platform and it's their job to keep
up with the platform by using APIs like this. They have to do the same
for an OS X port, in fact it might be good to use the same approach as
OS X so people can port in the same way.

Motif programs are just going to be uglier and harder to use than modern
programs. Oh well.

> > ~/Desktop type of stuff that would work with the shell, so shell users
> > lose. Oh well. The command names in /usr/bin are not translated either.
>
> Those are not normally in the users face, and users btw do create
> linkfarms or alias sets to fix that problem.

They are not normally in the users face because *the user is not using a
shell*

Neither is ~/Desktop normally in the user's face.

Havoc