Re: Font Configuration Applet

På Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 11:22:16PM +0100, Markus Bertheau skrev:
> if we add another font category, "Document Font", to the font
> configuration applet, then there's for sure too much widgets on it. I'd
> propose the following:
>
> Remove application font, desktop font and window title font in favour of
> one preference. For window titles that font is used in bold.

Why? Did you ever see how many space a bold font needs? Did you ever see how
ugly bold fonts are?

The number of widgets does not look like a problem for me. A descriptive
header in the capplet will be needed, I think.

> I don't see a lot of mamas wanting a different font for the desktop than
> for applications. And that who cares that much about his window title
> font is an artist anyway - in my imaginal set of personas for the GNOME
> desktop there is no artist.

My application font-size is 8pt. My desktop font-size is 20pt. My desktop
icons are also scaled by a 1.5 factor. Why? Because I want to see _in a
glance_ what's on my desktop. I put .desktop files, symlinks and other stuff
on my desktop because I want them to be clearly visible.

> This allows us to add a document font property and end up with less
> widgets than before.

"Less widgets" does not sound like a good rationale. "Better user
experience" does, though.

> In my opinion the four variants for anti aliasing should also be reduced
> to two: LCD or not. Of course it would be better if this could be auto
> detected.

What about the "Details" button?

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl

so much we don't know :: even our own true face             -- after forever