Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:56, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> jamie wrote:
> >
> > Well SQLite is not an RDBMS - yes its a database but nothing more. If
> > all we want is dumb data storage then yes SQLite is all we need but the
> > biggest advantage of having an RDBMS with stored procedures and triggers
> > is that we can centralise business rules for the data in order to
> > protect its integrity and avoid additonal coding effort by duplication
> > of said business rules in multiple clients (the clients become thin
> > clients which are quicker to code and less buggy as a result).
> >

> The clients also become largely the same, being utterly constrained by
> the "business rules".  The desktop database should be a shared, indexed
> data storage, nothing more; having it enforce constraints like "no two
> appointments may overlap" is massive overkill with no end-user benefit
> -- what if the user actually wants to schedule two appointments at the
> same time?

It was only an example of ground rules which preserve the integrity of
your data.

>  This isn't a database that needs to be shoehorned into a
> cookie cutter business environment; instead, it needs to be small, fast,
> zero-config, and easy to work with that gnome users and developers can
> mold to their needs.

It can with those rules. We can have plain dumb data or smart data with
rules

> Firebird may well fit the bill, and it seems like a fine database.
> SQLite is significantly more lightweight,

It might not support everything that Gnome storage requires (EG
notification?).

> while imposing more necessary
> logic on the wrapper API (type conversions, mainly).  Also, firebird's
> license is similar to the GPL
no its similiar to mozilla's and free for both closed and open source.
MySQl is GPL.

> , so it would probably need to be wrapped
> in a daemon to be usable for apps on the desktop (I could be wrong).
> Has it been decided that a RDBMS is needed at all?
Nope but whats Gnome Storage gonna use then?