Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

I get the feeling this whole discussion is bass-ackwards. It should be
about what functionality we need, and drag in something like SQLite a
full RDBMS into the discussion only if the use-cases very clearly
indicate that the necessary functionality outweighs the large cost in
complexity, resource use and developer animosity. And as for something
like stored procedures and enforcing "business rules", the discussion
should be about how to avoid it, and how to insulate the developer from
even having to know about them at all costs.

Instead we have a discussion about how to motivate shoehorning in a DBMS
into the desktop without even discussing _why_, and with some utterly
gratuitous DB feature comparison subthread thrown in on the side for
good measure - it's like the assumption is that having a DBMS is by
default a good thing, rather than the utter pain in the [insert
favourite body part] that it is in the reality, for developers and
deployers alike.

So, assuming that keeping complexity and resource cost down is a good
thing, is there in fact a pressing need for a DBMS in Gnome?

--

Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel.    +46-046 222 8588             Dr. Janne Morén (mr)
Home:   +46-046 211 4973             Dept. of Cognitive Science
Fax:    +46-046 222 9758             Kungshuset, Lund
                                     S-222 22 Lund, Sweden