Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

В Пнд, 05.04.2004, в 18:36, jamie пишет:
> Isn't it about time Gnome adopted and standardised on an RDBMS to help
> solve all these data storage problems?
>
> Whilst we are going to end up with an RDBMS anyhow cause Gnome Storage
> will use one, it makes sense to have one available for all desktop apps
> and services especially as it will save a hell of a lot of coding and
> wasted man hours in developing propriety storage dumps and associated
> IPC access mechanisms (I wonder how much development time could have
> been saved if Evolution Data Server used an RDBMS?).
>
> An RDBMS will provide us with security, concurrent access, transactions
> and highly efficient network transparency all for free. It also allows
> thin clients to be developed with the bulk of all business rules being
> implemented as stored procedures and triggers. Gnome-DB already provides
> us with a rich widget set for rapid development of such thin clients and
> thanks to the built in the network transparency, an admin user can
> remotely administer desktops using the same thin clients.
>
> My preferred RDBMS for the desktop is Firebird (formerly known as
> Interbase but released by Borland as open source under a mozilla style
> license - http://firebird.sourceforge.net). Whilst Gnome storage is
> currently being built around Postgres, Postgres is as far as I know an
> RDBMS designed as a server for high volume transactions and and high
> user counts and as such might be overkill (and heavy on resource usage
> too).

PostgreSQL is not resource hungry:

[bert yarrow bert]$ ps aux | head -1; ps aux | grep ^post
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
postgres  1609  0.0  0.5 19112 2280 ?        S    18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
postgres  1613  0.0  0.5  9912 2068 ?        S    18:32   0:00 postgres: stats buffer process
postgres  1614  0.0  0.5  9060 2100 ?        S    18:32   0:00 postgres: stats collector process

>  Firebird on the other hand was designed as an embeddable RDBMS to
> be used in systems where administration was not possible or desirable
> and where reliability, small memory footprint and high performance with
> tiny resource usage was required. Firebird, unlike other RDBMS, does not
> use any record locking (it has a multiple generation architecture
> instead)

PostgreSQL too.

>  so that availability of data is always guaranteed (and
> blocks/record locks by concurrent users/threads is not an issue).
> Firebird can be easily embedded into Gnome cause it provides an API to
> generate events (callbacks) to respond to certain conditions

PostgreSQL too.

>  and it also
> provides user definable functions that can be used in its SQL (these are
> basically functions written in an external shard lib).

PostgreSQL too. You can write stored procedures in whatever language
that produces callable-from-C shared objects, Java, PL/PgSQL, Ruby, Perl
and some more.

Plus PostgreSQL has been BSD pretty much from the beginning and hasn't
been abandoned by it's fathers :)

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>