Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

> PostgreSQL too. You can write stored procedures in whatever language
> that produces callable-from-C shared objects, Java, PL/PgSQL, Ruby, Perl
> and some more.

More dependencies yes but it is a nice feature. I prefer a functional
language to a procedural one for stored procedures cause its a lot
easier and quicker to get what you want that way.

> Plus PostgreSQL has been BSD pretty much from the beginning and hasn't
> been abandoned by it's fathers :)

I dont think thats relevant. Borland took interbase back to closed
source and is still available commercially so its not abandoned.

Whilst I prefer Firebird I don't mind using Postgres instead just as
long as the best and most appropriate RDBMS is chosen for GNOME and that
might well be Firebird or Postgres. It just so happens that
Interbase/Firebird has more advantages that might be important:

1) Smaller footprint
2) Easy setup - no tweaking required like Postgres and it works
optimally out of the box.
3) Minimal administration (apart from user and persmission setup no
further tweaking is required)
4) Better performance (Postgres needs more tweaking just to get close)

IMO, for a novice user wanting a no nonsense RDBMS with minimal
maintenance Firebird easily beats Postgres. Feel free to prove otherwise
- a proper and fair evaluation of installing postgres/firebird and the
issues surrounding them should reveal which is most appropriate.

jamie.