Re: No Flags "Policy"

<quote who="Sergey V. Oudaltsov">

> > Sergey, how about looking for layout *icons* in a preassigned
> I really don't mind. But you know, it is going to be VERY frustrating
> when users checks "Use flags" checkbox and sees... Exactly nothing.
> Because GNOME does not provide flags. And distromaker did not ship them
> either (because they are politically charged, and the company wants to
> chip CDs in China). I expect bugreports immediately.

Sure, because the software isn't doing the right thing. But you're going to
get bug reports saying lots of silly stuff.

> Remove the checkbox and teach the applet to be "smart"? I always hated
> that kind of "smartness" - when software makes decision for me and leaves
> no choice.  If Joe wants to see flags and Joann does not (on the same
> system) - what the applet should do? What the applet preferences should
> look like?

Why should "show flags" be a preference? It's not preferential at all; it
should just work, or not work, as the case may be. Is there any fundamental
reason why this choice should be foisted on users?

- Jeff

        "It's the most fun I've had without the use of a water-based
           lubricant." - Stephen Fry on directing his first film