Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:42:21AM -0500, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> I dont' think "nowhere" is an option at all; this issue is just plain
> embarassing and its solution has been postponed for way too long.

"nowhere" wasn't an option for 2.2 either, but nobody did the work.
Avoiding making a release with other fixes doesn't magically fix this
thing. What fixes it is doing the work.

> If it can't be implemented properly in GTK in this time frame, then I
> say too bad, it can just be a libgnomeui thing.

Woot, let's stick ourselves with supporting a huge hunk of bloat in
libgnomeui for the next 5 years, duplicating a feature that will be in
a GTK release 3 months later. Even better, apps can randomly select
which API to use, so the UI can be all inconsistent. That will rule.

libgnomeui die die die. One unified API means half the bloat, half the
developer learning curve, no choices for app developers to get wrong,
and your choice of double the features or double the quality. Or 1.5x
of each. Or something.

Cut and paste or static link is far preferable; it's some temporary
pain for maintainers, there's no impact there at all after 6 months.

Havoc