Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 00:09, Luis Villa wrote:
> Completely separately from my other, snide, response to Ettore ;) I have
> to agree here. We cannot ship 2.4 with something as basic as the file
> selector not being consistent between applications. The current
> egg-related situation is bad enough (with yet another toolbar, and yet
> another API for recent-files support). Those are at least mostly
> user-hidden. It will be much, much worse if we are inflicting two
> different file selectors on our users. We /must/ have a plan for getting
> file selector support either everywhere or nowhere in the 2.4 timeframe,
> or we'll have a severe regression for usability.

I dont' think "nowhere" is an option at all; this issue is just plain
embarassing and its solution has been postponed for way too long.

If it can't be implemented properly in GTK in this time frame, then I
say too bad, it can just be a libgnomeui thing.  GTK-only apps will
never be able to do the MIME filetypes handling properly, nor can handle
a GConf-based recent file/folder list, and hence are doomed to a world
of file selector suckiness anyways.

Besides, you don't want us to port Evolution to KDE do you?  :-)

--
Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com>