Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 16:49, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms 1407 org> writes:
> > It isn't gkrellm that's failing to set those options.
> If they aren't set, yes it is, because these options are required by
> the spec to be set by the application.
> Use "xprop" to see if it sets them.

This is still weird, since applications like this shouldn't have to
worry about this issues.

Sawfish's window menu should set that flag for the application's window,
not gkrellm.

Example:

[rms roque ~]$ xprop > p1 (and select gkrellm, which is supposed to have
                           the in gnome task list flag UNset right now)
set in gnome tasklist flag
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > p2 (and select gkrellm again)
[rms roque ~]$ diff p1 p2
2c2
< _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 6
---
> _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 2

Now, UNset the flag again, and get gkrellm's xprops:
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > p3
[rms roque ~]$ diff p1 p3
[rms roque ~]$ diff p2 p3
2c2
< _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 2
---
> _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 6

Note that in neither case gkrellm disappears from the task list...

Another exameple (xterm):
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > xterm-p1 (get default flags)
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > xterm-p2 (get what changed when UNsetting in
                                 window list)
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > xterm-p3 (get what changed when UNsetting in
                                 gnome tasklist)
[rms roque ~]$ diff xterm-p1 xterm-p2
0a1
> _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 4
[rms roque rms]$ diff xterm-p1 xterm-p3
0a1
> _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 6

Note that in neither case xterm disappears from the task list...

Now, let's do gnome-terminal:

[rms roque ~]$ xprop > gt-p1
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > gt-p2
[rms roque ~]$ xprop > gt-p3
[rms roque ~]$ diff gt-p1 gt-p2
0a1
> _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 2
[rms roque ~]$ diff gt-p1 gt-p3
0a1
> _WIN_HINTS(CARDINAL) = 6

Note that in neither case gnome-terminal disappears from the task
list...

I seriously doubpt this is the exact same bug in gkrellm and xterm and
gnome-terminal...

It's either sawfish (doesn't seem like it because props change) or the
tasklist that has a bug (I believe in the later more than the former).

Regards

+ So let's do it...?