Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 14:09, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>  - it's totally infeasible to move gnome 2 to viewports at this point.
>
> Nonetheless, I think switching to viewports _instead_ is a possibly
> convincing argument. What I find really unconvincing is having both.

Hmm, regardless of the workspace/viewport/desktop terminology debate, is
it possible to implement a '2-dimensional desktop' (as Luis puts it) in
time for gnome 2? And by this, I mean exactly what Jeff mentioned
up-thread; a grid of 'screens' navigatable with the up/down arrow keys
as well as left/right arrow keys.

I know some people will still want the grid within grid setup, but I
agree with you that it's a bit too much there. If we can achieve this in
time, I think that should be enough to appease most people.

To get this going, where should the code go? I don't know lisp, so I
don't think I can help on the sawfish side, but I'm interested in
writing C to get this function going into the "workspace switcher".

Ciao,

Duncan.