Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 16:03, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms 1407 org> writes:
> > This sort of stuff should NEVER be done automatically by default.
> Think about it for a minute. How often do you install a machine, plug
> it into the ethernet jack, but NOT immediately put it on your network?
> I can't think of any time I've done that. If you connect it to the
> network physically you intend to have it on the network.
> I'd have a good firewall enabled by default, though. And this is
> something you'd want to do in a desktop setup, not for servers, of
> course.

It's still valid that it should not be enabled by default, for security
reasons.
A more reasonable thing to do, would be to have AN OPTION to try to
detect and use dhcp automatically in the "Networking" gui, and have that
option DISABLED BY DEFAULT.

> > How about just having a gui in "Networking" to setup the lan connection?
> > It would have to change global settings, so it must be allowed by PAM or
> > something, but if you want the user to have that option, that's the way
> > to do it, not magically assume something, specially in such an hostile
> > environment such as the net is.
> Magic assumptions can make things more secure, not less, for the
> average case. e.g. auto-firewalling.

auto-firewalling, maybe... but AFTER user has manually selected dhcp.

Networking, unfourtunately, is an environment where danger is
ubiquitous.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?