Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 03:04, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms 1407 org> writes:
> > In dangerous evironments, it's bad to have automagical stuff going
> > around. In other situations it's quite nice (like plugging an usb
> > scanner, for instance).
> What I'm worried about is for example those dialogs web browsers pop
> up in various security situations, with "don't show this again"
> buttons. So it pops up and says things like "any information you post
> could be insecure" on web forms. Everyone I've ever seen just turns
> the dialogs off and proceeds to post all information insecurely.
> Another example is when ssh gives its warnings about unknown host key
> or whatever. I've never seen anyone type "no" when it asks if you want
> to continue connecting.

Well, I never turn those warnings off and yes I do check the host key
(or rather, I let ssh do that for me ever after the first time since I
get the host key after installing the machine and I don't log on weird
machines with my passphrase) :)

Anyway, I see your point, however... read below.

> The question then is, by making something more inconvenient have you
> actually increased security or just made yourself feel better...

1. it is not that much more inconvenient, after all, you've already gone
from editing a text file to a bad ui, to a great ui. it's just not
automagical.

> If there are hostile DHCP servers, is it really more secure if I have
> to connect to them manually?

2. The dialog can remind the user wether he's connecting to a trusted
network or not (maybe even a ghelp:// explaining in more detail the
risks should be included).

> I'm not saying it is or isn't, I'd just be hesitant to say
> definitively that it is.

3. It is certainly more secure when you increase the user's general
knowledge than by maintaining the user's ignorance of the risks.
That way, you give him a chance to think twice.

3 ==> I do not believe in dumb users, just misinformed or ignorant
users.

Let's teach them, little by little, instead of just keeping them fully
ignorant.

For instance, John Harper's problem with different userlevels on
sawfish:

"user-levels didn't really work, one had to enable the higher levels to
make common changes. (This couldn't be solved just by moving options
around.)"

Conclusion: wrong assumption of what are common changes.
Configurations are not supposed to be there to make common changes, but
to make the application customizable, and improve user experience.
Keeping what is an heuristically good set of defaults is fine, what's
bad is the erradication of pleasure from user experience of more
advanced users.

Basically, you guys are only thinking about two partly interssecting
sets of uniform users: the "dumb" and the "curious" ones, leaving at
large the more experienced users and absolutely leaving the experts with
the last resource: changing the source --> what a time consuming thing
to do!

Those may be the majority, but those are precisely that majority that
won't even change anything at all (so why have preferences at all for
them?).

A curious user will fiddle around with interesting menus like Personal
Settings (specially since it has such interesting sub-menus such as
Desktop Customization...

A more experienced user will drive his curiosity even further:
  he will check what "Expert" allows him to change.

JH's common changes where a sign that he was crossed with very different
user levels, that each found some features more interesting and some
were interssecting groups.

So now you have two different kinds of choices:
  gconf "hidden" options --> dangerous because a) no one is documenting
them but with source code (not many have the time to loose with that) b)
gconf suffers from windows registry's problem of not forgetting
unecessary keys, which makes it time confusing to change, for instance,
panel applet's hidden features.
  feature diet --> dangerous because no one can precisely define what
sets of features are the most desired/effective ones.

The solution so far has been a mixture of these two.

Yes, better defaults are needed, but what are better defaults? Better is
quite subjective. Just as subjective as bad defaults. For instance:

Using workspaces instead of a workspace/viewport combination meant a
serious loss of productivity for me.

Fortunately, John Harper came with a solution (albeit I didn't
understand it quite well on the first time).

Only it was worse than editing a gconf key... you had to type/paste some
rep lisp into sawfish's rc file (not in ~/.sawfish/custom but in
~/.sawfishrc which I didn't even have/use).

So, what gives? Heaven to those that don't change, hell to those that
change? What next, windows? :)

I'm not knit picking, I'm just worried about the current course of
things.
I wanted to make a capplet to start integration of gpg with nautilus,
but now I am not so sure it would even be accepted into the gnome
platform, because gpg may be considered too advanced for most users!

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?