Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> We need to design GNOME from the ground up to achive significantly
> better usability[3]. This is called interaction design. What we're doing
> now is, roughly speaking, interface design...we're pushing pixels on the
> screen. Usability has to be more than spit and polish if we want to be
> any better than mediocre[1]. Sadly, I really doubt we, as a project are
> either nimble enough, or agree well enough who GNOME should be for, or
> have the guts to do this. Throwing away code is too painful[2].

Ah, Seth. Young, naive, in college. ;-) Throwing away code on the
scale you mention isn't too painful, it's too *stupid*. You also throw
out all existing applications, free and proprietary, by the way, and
end up with a desktop no cross-platform toolkit can reasonably
target...

If someone wants to start a revolutionize-the-UI project in parallel
to GNOME that would be great, but I strongly suspect you'll end up in
the Berlin category. Please prove me wrong, but don't risk GNOME on
it. ;-)

Havoc