Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:

> I believe we can. Its not really that hard. The trick is that we have to
> be designing for a narrower audience. Part of the reason WinXP, MacOS/X,
> KDE and GNOME suck so much is that they try to be universal. I think
> there's a huge market for an "operating system" that solves a specific
> type of user's problems really damn well. But the problem is we'd never
> be able to agree on what this target audience is, because everyone has
> their own interests and goals for GNOME.

jrb mentioned your argument on this to me. I think if we had a
dedicated small group with a pragmatic attitude focused on some
specific audience, they could do a good job of adapting gnome toward
that audience, even without a huge advance consensus.

Havoc