Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms 1407 org> writes:
> This sort of stuff should NEVER be done automatically by default.

Think about it for a minute. How often do you install a machine, plug
it into the ethernet jack, but NOT immediately put it on your network?

I can't think of any time I've done that. If you connect it to the
network physically you intend to have it on the network.

I'd have a good firewall enabled by default, though. And this is
something you'd want to do in a desktop setup, not for servers, of
course.

> How about just having a gui in "Networking" to setup the lan connection?
> It would have to change global settings, so it must be allowed by PAM or
> something, but if you want the user to have that option, that's the way
> to do it, not magically assume something, specially in such an hostile
> environment such as the net is.

Magic assumptions can make things more secure, not less, for the
average case. e.g. auto-firewalling.

Havoc