Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 06:22, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Similarly, when we start up the computer and DHCP is available,
> there's no reason anyone should have to configure networking, they
> should just get networking. The kernel can tell you which ethernet
> cards have a link, and we can then automatically try to start up DHCP
> using them.

This sort of stuff should NEVER be done automatically by default.
I hope you understand why Windows has always had a good security history
record.

> This sort of thing should really be done in the init scripts or other
> system level in many cases.

How about just having a gui in "Networking" to setup the lan connection?
It would have to change global settings, so it must be allowed by PAM or
something, but if you want the user to have that option, that's the way
to do it, not magically assume something, specially in such an hostile
environment such as the net is.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?