Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
> Anyways, that was just a sample.  What I am afraid of is that this will
> lead to a quest to remove every option without having everything in the
> balance.  Yes, some apps have too many options (xchat) and making those
> better is a worthy goal, but this should not become a crusade to remove
> options.

No, that isn't the idea.

The idea is that we recognize that each preference has a cost, and
thus each preference requires a justification in light of that
cost. That's it; it's my whole argument.

I happen to think that _many_ of the GNOME 1.4 prefs turn out to lack
justification. But it's something we can discuss case-by-case.

But if someone claims that "all" prefs should be included - that prefs
do not need to be justified - that's what I consider a huge, huge
mistake.

So don't get worried about abstract fears. Look at the concrete case
of each preference, and evaluate whether it makes sense.

Havoc